Criminology is a prestigious field that is wildly popular around the world. In Poland, only a few scientific centres have been authorised to run such studies, and WSPiA is the only one in Subcarpathia to join the elite group of such universities.
Studies in criminology focus on the criminal - analysing psychological and social conditions which led a person to commit a crime, as well as analysing and assessing the mechanisms which are created in order to prevent and fight crime.
The studies we offer you are multidisciplinary in nature. They will allow you to acquire knowledge in sciences such as psychology, medicine, law, sociology or economics. You will be able to learn, among other things, about criminal profiling, phenomenology and criminal etiology, forms and methods of combating crime. On the new course of study, we are planning interesting subjects combining criminology with history, art and literature.
Below you can read why this field is worth studying at WSPiA University of Rzeszów. Among the University's strengths, it is worth mentioning classes with practitioners working in the uniformed services, a state-of-the-art Laboratory of Forensic Science, Criminology and Forensic Medicine, an electronic shooting range and preparation for work in various uniformed services.
If you want to...
Acquire comprehensive and interdisciplinary knowledge in the fields of criminology, psychology, medicine, criminal geography, economics and sociology in the area of the origin of criminal and deviant behaviour, criminal profiling, social and legal reactions to crime, the causes of crime and other social pathologies, legal mechanisms undertaken by law enforcement agencies in the aspect of combating crime and an in-depth analysis of the processes involved in human life, which culminate in the commission of a criminal offence: The field of criminology is dedicated to you!
The knowledge of crime in its multifaceted dimension prepares future graduates for professional activity in public and private institutions that carry out their tasks for the benefit of justice and state security, such as the police, prison service, probation service, governmental and local government administration bodies as well as private entities dealing with protection of persons, property, detective services and business intelligence.
Graduates will acquire knowledge equipped with legal skills in the aspect of using legal regulations, based on basic rules of logical reasoning and rules of legal inference. The graduates of the first degree programme in Criminology will be equipped with specialist knowledge and competences in the field of criminalistics and criminology, social phenomena related to broadly understood causes of crime, resocialisation and social prevention, crime prevention strategies and criminal psychology and psychopathology.
The WSPiA University of Rzeszów has, practically from the beginning of its existence - i.e. for over 25 years - been educating students in the field of "INTERNAL SECURITY". For many years, the study offer has included a speciality in "criminalistics and criminology", which from 2022 becomes an independent field of "CRIMINOLOGY".
The first degree studies of "Criminology" last six semesters. They end with a professional Bachelor's degree.
After the completion of the first degree studies, you can continue your education at the WSPiA University of Rzeszów with the second degree studies on the "internal security" speciality, gaining the professional degree of a master's degree.
At WSPiA you have a wide choice and many opportunities
We provide you with an excellent, attractive and adapted to the needs of the labour market didactic offer.
The didactic classes of the first degree in Criminology will be taught by prominent scientists and practitioners who have national and international recognition, among others:
Experts in the field of criminology:
- Prof. dr hab. Zbigniew Ćwiąkalski — former Minister of Justice,
- Prof. dr hab. Emil Pływaczewski — kryminolog, jako jedyny Polak jest członkiem jury „nobla kryminologicznego" — Sztokholmskiej Nagrody Kryminologicznej, Dyrektor Centrum Badań i Ekspertyz Kryminologicznych,
- Prof. dr hab. Ewa Guzik- Makaruk — Zastępca Dyrektora Międzynarodowego Centrum Badań i Ekspertyz Kryminologicznych, Członek Krajowej Rady Transplantacyjnej,
- Prof. dr hab. Leszek Wieczorek — b. Dyrektor Instytutu Ekspertyz Sądowych,
- dr Agata Furgała — b. doradca wiceministra spraw wewnętrznych i administracji, wicedyrektor Departamentu Bezpieczeństwa w MSWiA, odpowiedzialny m.in. za krajowy plan przeciwdziałania korupcji, krajowy program antyterrorystyczny oraz koordynację, współpracy z Policją, Strażą Graniczną, PSP i Służbą Ochrony Państwa, b. przedstawiciel Polski w Komitecie ds. Współpracy operacyjnej w bezpieczeństwie wewnętrznym UE - COSI,
- dr hab. Anna Świerczewska-Gąsiorowska — from the Institute of Legal Studies of the Faculty of Applied Police Sciences at the Police Academy in Szczytno,
- mgr Andrzej Bodzioch — former Head of the Forensic Laboratory of the Regional Police Headquarters in Rzeszów
- Mgr Izabela Harasimowicz-Pilarz — psycholog, biegły sądowy z zakresu psychologii, b. wieloletni pracownik Zakładów Karnych w Wielkiej Brytanii na stanowisku psychologa,
- Prof. dr hab. Zbigniew Ćwiąkalski — former Minister of Justice,
- Ks Dr Marek Story, prof. WSPiA — doktor nauk prawnych,
- Dr hab. Lech Żukowski, prof. WSPiA — psychologist,
- Dr Hubert Kawalec — sociologist,
- Mgr Jakub Przerwa — funkcjonariusz Straży Granicznej,
- Gen. Dominik Tracz — former Commander-in-Chief of the Border Guard
- Gen. Józef Gdański — former Subcarpathian and Olsztyn Regional Police Commander.
Practice is paramount
The Bachelor's degree programme in 'CRIMINOLOGY' includes many interesting practical classes, including conversation classes, exercises, workshops, practical labs and simulated crime scene inspections conducted by experienced practitioners. Students also learn using an interactive internet threat simulator allowing them to create and combat threats in cyberspace, a virtual crime scene simulator "Cyber Crime" and decision-making games on procedures for authorities and services in crisis situations.
We also have a new proposal for attractive activities, the 'Safety Clinic'. These are classes where you become the lecturer. During the exercises - under the guidance of a practitioner - you solve case studies, discuss and teach other students. Your activity and creativity during such classes is rewarded with additional points within the Educational MIX.
At WSPiA you will also benefit from a unique system of additional education. It enables you to gain additional, specialised qualifications to complement the universal and comprehensive education you gained during your studies. The system is called BED (Supplementary Education Voucher). Under the BED, you can choose additional, free classes according to your interests.
Building for your field of study
A state-of-the-art facility called "Collegium Securitatis" has been built for the students of "CRIMINOLOGY" at WSPiA.
It houses, among others:
- the Subcarpathia Centre of Forensic Science, Criminology and Forensic Medicine, which is the most modern in Poland and excellently equipped (at a cost of over PLN 1 million);
- an innovative - the first in the Subcarpathia Region and the third in Poland - "Cyber Crime" laboratory, thanks to which students learn in virtual reality how to inspect a crime scene and analyse the traces found.
- the only university polygraph/viograph - commonly referred to as a lie detector - in the Subcarpathian region;
- the first modern university electronic shooting range in Subcarpathia;
- a full-size, multifunctional sports hall with an auditorium;
- practice rooms for physical education and various martial arts;
- a gym you can use for free;
- a police fitness test track - which prepares you for police entrance exams, among other things.